In recognition of the 55+ BC Games which will be held in Kelowna this autumn, the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art is organizing a group exhibition to celebrate the important contribution this demographic makes to our local arts community. Artists over 55 years of age are are invited to submit their work for our upcoming showcase exhibition.
The 55+ Showcase exhibition will run from September 6 to September 14 at the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art. An Opening Reception will be held on Friday, September 6 at 6pm.
Who can participate in the Senior Showcase Exhibition?
Participants must be aged 55+ and a member of the Alternator to submit work to this exhibition. To become a member in advance of your submission, visit this webpage.
If you are not currently a member but would like to participate, you may still register for this exhibition – simply complete your membership before you drop off your artwork on Saturday, August 31
What type of work should I submit?
Artists may submit art pieces of any media or size. Each artist is guaranteed to have one artwork included in the exhibition. Additional pieces may be juried in dependant on size and space constraints.
Is there any type of work that will not be accepted?
If an artist plans to submit a piece over 4ft in size or one which requires unusual hanging methods, please reach out to the Alternator team by calling 250-868-2298 to make sure that we can properly accommodate you.
The 55+ Showcase will take place in a public space, and should be appropriate for viewing by all ages.
Can I sell artwork in this exhibition?
This exhibition is primarily about showcasing our members. If you are passionate about including a price on your work, we can accommodate that. While the Alternator does not facilitate direct sales on your behalf, we will pass along your contact information if a visitor expresses an interest in purchasing your work.
How do I participate?
- Print the Submission Form by clicking HERE. Or, complete the form online HERE.
- Complete your submission form by Saturday, August 24, 2019. Forms can be printed through our website then emailed in, or completed in person at the gallery. This exhibition is unjuried.
- Drop off your artwork by 5pm on Saturday, August 31, 2019.
- Install and prepare: Assistance with install is welcome, but optional. Please let us know if you are able to assist with installing between Tuesday, September 3 and Thursday, September 5. Artists may also choose to provide a brief artist statement (less than 200 words) to display next to their artwork.
- Invite friends and family to attend the opening reception on Friday, September 6 from 6pm to 8pm.
The 55+ Showcase exhibition will be on view at the Alternator from September 6 – 14, 2019
Submission deadline: Tuesday August 27, 6pm
Art Drop off: Saturday, August 31
Install Dates: September 3-5
Opening Date: Friday, September 6 at 6pm
Art Pick Up: Saturday, September 21, 4pm