The Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art Invites applications for the position of
GALLERY ASSISTANT – 3 month contract (with possibility for renewal).
Application Deadline: August 10 2018
Anticipated Interview Date: August 11 2018
Anticipated Start Date: August 25 2018
Remuneration: $15 per hour / 28-34 hours per week
The Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art is a non-profit artist-run centre in Kelowna BC. Our mandate is to support the development of innovative contemporary work by local, national and international emerging and mid-career artists. The Alternator operates three exhibition spaces, hosts an artist co-op program and facilitates a number of community-led creative initiatives as part of our annual programming.
Working with the Artistic and Administrative Director, the employee will perform a range of exhibition and administrative duties. The preferred applicant will have experience in the visual and media arts and familiarity with artist-run centres. He/she is a highly responsible team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and is able to demonstrate personal initiative and leadership within a collective environment.
Major responsibilities include: supporting the Alternator’s administrative activities, fundraising events, community outreach, volunteer coordination, general exhibitions and support to the Artistic and Administrative Director and Board of Directors.
– excellent oral and written communication skills
– proven organizational skills including task management and timely completion of projects as requested
– ability to follow written and oral instructions, and seek clarification when necessary
– familiarity with the Mac environment, including Word, Excel (In-Design, Illustrator and Photoshop as asset, but not necessary)
– experience managing social media accounts, including creating content and scheduling posts to ensure relevant and consistent communication with our social media followers
– physical ability and knowledge to perform preparatory and installation work
– ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
To apply, please email a PDF cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Attn. Hiring Committee – Gallery Assistant Vacancy’ in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For more information about the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art visit www.alternatorcentre.com.