Volunteering with Alternator allows you to make a contribution to the local arts community, gain practical experience in a professional artist-run centre and network with artists.
Plus, your contribution of 12 or more hours of volunteer work gets you an Alternator membership for a year! This encompasses all the privileges of a full member, including access to the Members’ Gallery.
Volunteer hours are based on availability, skill set and interests. We encourage members to find times and activities that work for them – if you have a particular skill you’d like to share with us, let us know! Some general gallery activities we need help with include:
• Installation: Assist with set up and take down
• Gallery preparation: Assist with painting and patching walls
• Documentation: Digitally photograph exhibitions
• Gallery attendant: Greet and record visitors, answer questions, and general help
• Organize food and beverages for gallery events and receptions
• Host artists visiting from out of town
• Publicity: distribute exhibition and events posters, share via social media
• Graphic design: create posters, brochures and invitations using InDesign
• Clerical assistance
• Locating sponsors
• Assisting with events
• Serve on project committees
Thank you to all of the volunteers who help our centre to operate day-to-day and year-to-year…we couldn’t do it without you!